Wednesday 23 January 2013

10 Essentials: Tommy Fazio

PROJECT president and fashion director Tommy Fazio is out to change the scope of trade shows. After working as fashion director at Nordstrom and as an executive at Bergdorf Goodman, Calvin Klein, and Simon Spurr, Fazio's first order of business since taking over PROJECT in November is to make PROJECT feel less like a traditional tradeshow and more like a retail floor.

"We're taking a highly merchandised approach," Fazio said. "I want to create this really compelling destination where innovation, commerce, and service converge, and I want to bring a really strong editorial point of view to the show through trend forecasting and helping the newer, younger brands with how they should present their clothes to the retailer."

Starting today, PROJECT NYC will be held for the first time at Pier 92, and Fazio is looking to implement his vision even more fully at PROJECT Vegas in February. We spoke with the fashion world veteran about his daily uniform, his favorite book, and what he drinks to keep himself energetic and health
1. Prada Navy sport coat
"Two years ago I was in Milan and I lost my luggage. I was on my way to Fashion Week and I needed a navy sport coat, so I ran to the Prada store, slipped one on, and it was like putting on something you've had your entire life. It's a very simple two-button navy sport coat, and it's lightweight wool, so you can wear it up until it's really hot in the summer. It's become the staple of my wardrobe; I never leave home without it."
2. Raleigh Denim Jones Original
"The Jones Original style are the most comfortable skinny jeans made in America. It's raw, unwashed selvedge, and it's the most well-crafted jean I've ever had on my body. I've worn raw denim from a lot of different brands, but you know how when you wear raw denim, it's sometimes really stiff and uncomfortable? This one is cut so that it's not like that at all, and somehow it doesn't turn your hands and chairs blue."
3. Thom Browne white oxford
"I've been wearing Thom Browne white oxfords for about 10 years now, and I probably wear a white oxford five out of seven days of the week. These shirts are all about craftsmanship, quality, and comfort, and you can dress them up or wear them sporty."
4. Hermes blanket
"I've had it for 10 years, and it goes back and forth from bed to sofa, depending on where I am. It's like my security blanket."
5. The Tipping Point
"Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point sits next to my bed every day. It's an inspirational book, and it kind of drives me in my career. It motivates me to keep pushing forward and to try new things and take chances in life. I've circled my favorite line several times: 'You never know unless you try."
6. L.L.Bean camo tote bag
"When you carry the L.L.Bean camo tote bag everyone is like, 'Oh my god, that bag is so chic, what is it?' And you're like, 'It's L.L.Bean. It's $22.' Everyone thinks its Trussardi or something because it looks so good. I have many versions of it all over my house, including one with the GQ logo and one with my initials on it. That is just a carryall that you can pack up to go to work, to the gym, or as a carry-on on an airplane."
7. Smythson writing folder
"My Smythson is black leather grain, and it has a notebook inside and a place for your business cards and pen. It goes everywhere with me—even if I go to dinner I bring it, because if I have an idea, I write it down. I also started last year to print out my week's calendar and put it in the folder, because sometimes I'd rather look at paper than at my phone."
8. Henry
"My number-one essential in my life is my English Cocker Spaniel, Henry. He comes to work with me every day and he's super, super personal—he's like a human. He sits on the chair next to me, and sometimes I think he makes decisions for me."
9. Organic Avenue shots
"When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I do is I walk Henry, and the second thing I do is go to Organic Avenue and have a ginger and wheatgrass shot, every morning. The ginger helps to keep you from getting a cold and it gives me a lot of energy, and the wheatgrass is great for clarity and it has great essential minerals and vitamins."
10. Max at Chelsea Barber
"I couldn't live without Max. I've had a shaved head for almost 18 years now, and Max has been my barber for 10 of them. I was walking through Chelsea one day and I thought, 'You know, I'm not going to go all the way across town to get my head shaved.' I walked in and this young, lovely gentleman said 'You're next,' and I sat down and it was the perfect, perfect shave. I've never stopped going back, and I sometimes go twice a week."












No comments:

Post a Comment