Friday 17 June 2011

Neil Labute The Hardy Boys Series (1927) by Franklin W. Dixon

Neil Labute

The Hardy Boys Series (1927)
by Franklin W. Dixon




Message to Fenton Hardy, Detective

Dear Mr. Hardy:

I know that you don't technically exist, but I wanted to send you a note of thanks all the same for the many hours of joy that you brought me as a boy. I accompanied you and your sons on many daring adventures, and I was thrilled to spend time with you, Frank, Joe, and even their lovable sidekick, Chet. My home life was kind of tricky back then, and I didn't have too many positive male figures, but you guys never let me down. Sure, I enjoyed solving all those mysteries with you, but even more than that, I feel like I learned a lot of important things about being a man and other good stuff like that along the way. I definitely improved my powers of deduction and sleuthing, but I also learned to treat other people with respect (even girls) and how to be self-suffcient and to finish something once I started it. Basically, I always considered you a kind of substitute father and a literary figure that I will forever look up to. Is that okay? Hope so. Thanks again, "Dad."

Yours in fiction,
Neil LaBute

P.S. I always saved up my money so that I could buy each book in the hardback edition. That said, when I ran out of your titles, I started reading a few of the Nancy Drew mysteries. I often felt bad about that and a little dirty for such a literary infidelity, but I feel happier now, getting it off my chest. For the record, yours were better.

Neil Labute's play Reasons to Be Pretty opens this fall in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment